Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Need rain? Call Joan and Jim, the drought busters

Next time Texas has a drought all they need to do is call Joan and I and have us drive down. In the past two weeks since we have been in Texas it has rained almost every other day, including some real gully washers, including one that dropped 4-inches overnight.

The aquifer is up nearly 10-feet since we arrived and dire water restrictions have been postponed due to the recent rains.

When I got up this morning, it had rained again overnight and the golf course behind our trailer is greener than green.

This afternoon, with the skies gloomy and overcast we decided to catch another movie we had been hoping to see – “War Horse.” It was a good story, supposedly based on a true story although I can only imagine that it was exaggerated just a little.

After the movie I decided it was time to get a hair and beard trim and we stopped at a salon in the same shopping center (Quarry Shopping Center) where the movie theater was located. The woman who did my hair was an immigrant from Russia, her name was Natasha (naturally), and turns out she moved her five years ago to join her American husband.

She did a fine job on my hair and Joan and I moved on to the AT&T store to replace her worn out cellphone (remember when phones lasted decades?). No sign of a poor economy at the phone store. It is more complicated to pick out a new phone than a new car.

We had a salesman who quickly understood we were only interested in a utilitarian phone that would make and receive phone calls. No texting, Internet or other services need, thank you very much. Joan was well overdue for a new phone and 45 minutes later we walked out with a new phone for Joan.

The problem with her ‘old’ phone was that the battery would no longer hold a charge, so she was constantly having to put it on the charger. Hopefully that will no longer be necessary.

Back at the park, Joan took an hour to wash the towels and sheets and I spent an hour on the phone with the Internet provider trying to have them find out why my Internet connection was going up and down like a yo-yo. Hopefully that has been resolved.

For dinner we had breakfast (eggs, pancakes, bacons and toast) and we settled in for a New York Rangers versus Buffalo Sabres NHL game. (I love breakfast for dinner).

OK, I was joking with Joan the other day that while we have seen plates in the park from 33 states, we will likely never see one from Hawaii as it would likely not be possible for someone to drive an RV from Oahu to the United States. See how smart I am?

Well, today I went for my daily license plate walk and found a new camper from the Netherlands. At first I thought maybe it was a plate from Newfoundland, but I checked online and the license plate NL ******* is from the Netherlands.

As a result I am not giving up hope of seeing a Hawaii plate now or in the future. Stay tuned.
Sometime yesterday a fleet of beautiful motorhomes and fifth wheels, all from Quebec, Canada, arrived in the park yesterday. Lots of French words flying around the park today.

A local attorney, who advertises on TV here, calls himself “The Hammer.” His ads have the slogan: “The Hammer doesn’t bark, he bites.” He says this slogan with a growl. It just makes me laugh every time I hear it.

No pictures today, but I’ve posted one of my favorite lawyer commercials below this entry if you scroll down. This attorney makes me laugh every time he comes on the air. “He doesn’t bark, he bites!”

No comments:

Post a Comment