Friday, February 3, 2012

Happy Hour and hockey, another great day

Pink in the Rink hockey game tonight
The drought busting continues. Rain last night and as I write this at 10:30 p.m. Friday night (after the hockey game) there is a good old Michigan thunderstorm going on right now here in San Antonio. It rained last night as well. More rain is predicted for tomorrow.

Today we got a few chores done and we watched as the 10 Quebec big rigs pulled out of the park today. Don’t know where they are going, but a few of the Ontario Canadians were quite glad they were gone when I talked to them tonight at Happy Hour.
“They are French, they aren’t Canadians,” one Toronto man told me. He said the Quebec residents are as rude to English speaking Canadians as they are to Americans, which I guess made me feel better.

Nice lady took our photo in our nose bleed seats
I worked out in the recreation room again today and then did a couple laps around the park. After we got cleaned up we went out and did a couple chores and laid in some groceries for the next few days, including some snacks that we picked up so we could bring something to Happy Hour tonight.
Happy Hour here at the park is a bring-your-own affair and everyone brings a little snack to pass.

I met a couple new folks at the “men’s” table and had a good time.
After Happy Hour we headed again to the AT&T Center for the “Pink in the Rink” fund-raiser for the Susan G. Komen for the Cure hockey game. The San Antonio Rampage squared off against the Lake Erie Monsters from Canada and it was the first ever sell out for the local hockey team. More than 16,000 fans were on hand for the game so it was nice to be part of history. They also dye the ice a light pink shade and the players wear jerseys trimmed in pink which are auctioned off after the game.

A pink headed mascot "T-Bone" at the puck drop
Many of my friends were upset this week about the Komen controversy, but sorry I just couldn’t get too worked up over it. It seems like everything has become a political issue and a big controversy and I just don’t see it. So forgive me if I don’t look for a controversy behind ever issue.  Besides it would take more than a political flare up to get me to miss a hockey game.
We had a good time and met some really nice folks in the section (nose bleed) where we sat for the game. Oh, the home team lost by a 3-1 score, so the sell out crowd went home unhappy.

One note: Only one new license plate in the park today – New Brunswick in Canada.
Talk to you tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. From what I know of Canada, many Southern Ontarians are not huge fans of their French speaking neighbors. When Greg and I were in Montreal, I toyed with the idea of practicing my French, because I felt sort of obligated to as a foreigner. Greg, who has about as much French language experience as me, but 10 more years out of practice, told me that I shouldn't bother. He said he feels no obligation, as a Canadian, to have to speak French in his own country. I am sure it was followed by some sort of rant.


    -Elin

    ReplyDelete