Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The man who has everything lives in Tallahassee

Remember the old story about what you buy the man who has everything? Well, I still don't know the answer, but I believe I have seen the man who has everything. And I saw him today.

Our last day included a tour of the first thing I found online that I wanted to visit while we were in Tallahassee, Florida. The Tallahassee Automobile Museum includes more than 130 antique, rare, classic, muscle and new cars all owned by Devoe Moore, a Tallahassee entrepreneur and philanthropist who is known in these parts as "The Titan of Tallahassee."

Actually I should say "Dr. Devoe Moore" as he also earned an honorary doctorate for his philanthropy.

According to news stories I found about him, Mr. Moore has donated more than $30 million to his Alma mater, Florida State University. In appreciation they have named a very large campus building after him.

His story is an inspiring one, he financed his own college education in the 1960s by shoeing horses, something he apparently learned on the Tennessee farm where he grew up. After college he obviously made a killing in real estate and spent the rest of his life, which is not over, collecting stuff. Cars, motorcycles, knives, guns, boat motors, dolls, Batman memorabilia, train stuff, golf equipment, oil cans, baseball cards and posters, juke boxes, baby bottles, spark plugs, metal toys, wooden boats, boat motors, airplane models, typewriters, calculators, brass fans and lately expensive pianos. Oh, he doesn't play the piano just collects them.

Did I mention an antique vampire killing kit? Yes, he even owns one of those.

Some of the coolest cars I have ever seen in one place are located in the two-story museum at the intersection of I-10 and Mahan Drive.

Also on display is the hearse that reportedly carried President Lincoln's body to his final resting place. He owns several classic Corvettes, Thunderbirds, a Rolls Royce, a Duesenberg, a Cord, several Cadillacs, classic Chevrolets and Fords, but what does he drive? A Smart car. Yes, one of those miniature vehicles. We saw him drive up in it as we left.

According to staff he still tinkers in his garage and is still collecting more stuff. The Steinway piano collection was very impressive and includes one that plays electronically.

My only regret was that my father was not here to enjoy this with us. He would have loved this place and could have filled in some questions I had about many of the car exhibits. To give you an idea of how fascinated I was with this place I took 221 photos in just two hours. It took me more than an hour to edit them all tonight. I'll share them with Dad the next time we are together.

I love chrome, it's as simple as that. But if you are ever in the Tallahassee area, it's worth a stop. The museum costs $13.50 a person to visit, but you'll be amazed at the amount of stuff accumulated by one person.

Back at the trailer Joan made really fine hamburgers for dinner and I spent much of the rest of the evening editing photos. Tomorrow we break camp and head for Pensacola. At least I got to watch hockey tonight (Blackhawks versus Minnesota Wild on Versus).

If you'd like to see more photos, scroll down below the ad and drool.

No comments:

Post a Comment