Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The bonnet is a hit and so are the Doo Wop Divas

Joan’s bonnet has been the source of much discussion around the resort today. While the younger female members of her family (namely her daughter and niece) are not big fans of the bonnet many of the folks her at the resort stop Joan and ask her about it.
Joan (far left with bonnet) does her "jumping jacks"
And not in a negative way. “I love your bonnet,” one lady said. “Where did you get that beautiful bonnet?,” said another. Another man told Joan she reminded him of his Texas mother who always wore such a bonnet when she was outside.
I think I could have sold 20 of those bonnets today if I had them with me.  It may not be popular with the younger set, but the senior folks heartily approve of the bonnet.

Of course, each discussion either begins or ends with  a recitation of Joan’s Aunt Norma’s musings on the subject of bonnets.
“They are good if you are ‘on the bottle,’ “ Aunt Norma says. “On the bottle” means that you dye your hair and that the bonnet protects the color. If I heard that story once today I heard it six times. But Joan feels vindicated in her choice of hair covering.

While we are on my favorite subject – Joan – she encouraged me to stop by her Aquasize class this morning to take a few photos so that the folks who read this blog won’t think I am the only one getting some physical activity in each day.
Joan goes to her class every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9 a.m. with a group of folks who prefer their exercise pre-soaked.

Now, to be honest, I was a little apprehensive about showing up to a class full of mostly women in bathing suits to take pictures. The word “pervert” came to mind almost immediately. Joan assured me I wouldn’t be the first husband there to take photos so I showed up for the beginning of the class.
After finishing the photo shoot one of the ladies invited me into the pool, but I let her know that I had already done my exercise time in the fitness room.

Joan and her bonnet in the pool
I’ve attached a few of those photos here as proof of her activity. With the bonnet she is easy to spot but hard to see, if you get what I mean.
In the late morning we went to the craft fair that occurs here every other Wednesday and bought a few trinkets. I had my camera with me, but forgot to take pictures.

Later in the afternoon we went to the post office to mail off some income tax information to our accountant.
For dinner Joan whipped up a “Crock Pot Italian Chicken” dinner which was really, really good. Joan likes using the crock pot for dinners as it leaves us free to leave the trailer while our dinner cooks in our absence.

As long as I don’t have to cook, the meal is always superb.
A fuzzy photo of me and the "Doo Wop Divas"
After dinner we had tickets to a 7 p.m. performance at the resort of the “Doo Wop Divas,” a quartet that relives those great girl groups of the 50s and 60s.

It was real “groovy” and included one of my favorite songs, the Lesley Gore classic “It’s My Party and I’ll Cry If I Want To” and many more.
After the concert the girls posed with me for a photo, but I think Joan got nervous with the camera and they came out a little fuzzy, but fun all the same.

To see another fuzzy photo of me with the Doo Wop Divas, scroll down. I’ve also put a photo of a plaque we found outside the post office near out resort memorializing the location of a fatal train wreck. Kinda weird, I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment