Saturday, January 2, 2016

On the road again....

Blue skies and light traffic greeted us in Illinois
Welcome to Day One of our journey back to Tucson. With all the Christmas and New Year’s activities getting organized and on-the-road this year was a big challenge. Each year I have refined my efforts and have created a check list sheet to make sure I don’t forget anything vital for our trip.


A Missouri house in the middle of a flooded plain 
The process has worked well for me, but I didn’t take into account that the trip involves two of us and so about two hours into the trip, Joan looked at me and in a pleading tone asked me sheepishly if I brought the keys to the trailer. (Hint: I did). But she forgot her set of keys which leaves us with no back up in the event I lose mine. Additionally, she forgot our trailer box that contains all our historical records on stops and our “Last Exit” book that we find so helpful while traveling.  So check one for me on being organized.

My checklist requires that I first make a check mark that I have the item and it is ready to load into the Tahoe and then a second check indicates that it has actually been loaded. All of MY items have two check marks, you’ll have to ask Joan about her system.

Traveling on Saturday morning meant that I set the cruise control for 72 mph when we got onto I-69 and Lake Nepessing Road in Lapeer and didn’t have to touch the brakes or cruise control until we stopped at a truck stop in Indiana more than two hours later. Dry roads and light traffic make for an easy travel day.

Joan messing up my travel time
As usual we left under cloudy skies and didn’t see any glimpse of the sun until we were a short distance into Indiana. It got clearer as we traveled on.

The temperature was 31 when we left Lapeer and was 50 when we arrived at our destination in St. Clair, Missouri tonight.

Each year in Indiana Joan has a moment when we pass the Vera Bradley plant and reminds me how much Elin is not a fan of the Vera Bradley line of handbags.

Leading up to getaway day we have been following with more than passing interest the flooding in and around St. Louis from a major storm last week. The area received 7-inches of rain in less than three days and rivers overflowed and I-44 was closed for nearly 30 miles just outside of St. Louis. The major traffic artery was closed on Monday and remained closed through New Year’s Day, but opened mid-morning on New Year’s Day which really uncomplicated our travel plans. Had it remained closed we would have taken I-70 which would have greatly extended our travel time.
Mississippi River is high
Joan snapped some photos of a swollen Mississippi River as we entered St. Louis and grabbed a quick picture of cleanup crews preparing to open Highway 141 just east of St. Louis as we passed through. About an hour after we passed the road was reopened after being closed for more than four days.


We could see plenty of evidence of the flooding, but it did not slow us down. Joan also noticed many deer herds through Indiana and Illinois lurking close to the freeway. But this was one of the best first travel days we have had since make our winter pilgrimage to better weather since 2009.

We continued listening to a book on CD that we almost finished on our trip home last year and will likely finish tomorrow. It’s Jeff Shaara’s historical novel called Chain of Thunder about the siege of Vicksburg. It gives me a chance to wow Joan with my extensive knowledge of the Civil War, which in turn keeps me bright and alert while driving. A win-win for both of us.
A picture of Joan taking a picture of a flooded off ramp

Outside Indianapolis we passed the Lucas Oil Stadium the scene of the Spartans recent Big Ten Championship victory. The fact they got smeared in the National Championship semi-final game means that I won’t have to scrounge up a ticket for the National Championship game next week in Phoenix. How’s that for finding the silver lining?

I snapped a couple photos of Joan messing up my travel time with unplanned rest stops. 

Last year we found “Budget Lodging,” a motel in St. Clair, Missouri that is pretty much as advertised, except it is run by really nice people and the rooms are neat and clean and what more could we ask for. We had dinner at Gibby’s, a nice little sports bar near the hotel where we ate on our way home last April.
Highway 141 getting ready to reopen

During a short stretch this morning, while Joan slept I reflected as to how blessed we both are having the means and freedom to travel each year. In addition, we are blessed with wonderful family and friends. I will write more on this later. Tomorrow: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

The folks at the Budget Lodging are very spiritual people and we were greeted in our room with a Gideon Bible opened to a very appropriate passage. 



Time out: 7:10 a.m. (EST)
Now I am going to lay down in peace

Mileage out: 33867

Time in: 3:55 p.m. (CST)



Mileage in: 34495

1 comment: