Wednesday, January 6, 2016

A little bit of everything (mostly good) and a safe arrival

No sweat for a guy from Michigan
Bottom line: We are in Tucson in our space, safe and sound. If that sounds easy, think again. We had a little bit of everything and not always in a good way, but our prayers were answered and we dodged a major snow storm in Flagstaff and found the trailer in pretty good shape considering 9 months of no one living in it except a couple mice.


I found one of the offending mice dead next to a trailer tire, no doubt a victim of some of the poison we left behind in the trailer. Sorry to do that, but my rule has always been you stay in your habitat, I leave you alone. You come into my habitat, we have a problem.

When I said we had a little of everything, I especially meant weather. We left Albuquerque early as we heard of an approaching major Tuesday snow storm heading toward Flagstaff on Tuesday morning. The storm was supposed to hit about 10 a.m., but was just tardy enough to allow us to escape down the 7,300-foot hill just as the storm arrived.

There's a lot of snow on those Flagstaff mountains
It was snowing pretty hard in New Mexico as we left and we encountered temperatures of 23 degrees and then more snow, and then sleet and then rain as we made our way to Flagstaff. The prospect of driving the Tahoe, a 33-foot trailer down a steep mountain grade in a snowstorm did not excite me so with Joan praying like crazy we were very happy to arrive to the news that the major part of the storm wouldn’t hit until about 1 p.m.


It was also a little weird that in the middle of the snowflakes, we drove through some controlled burns along the freeway that mixed a lot of smoke with the snow.

While we were slip sliding through New Mexico and Arizona it amused me that the Arizona highway department has frequent signs that say “Keep off of Median.”  I think most people would do whatever they could to “keep off a median” and if they are there it is not likely by choice.

All hooked up and ready to fly
We were very grateful that once at the trailer, things worked like clockwork in getting the Tahoe unpacked, the load in the trailer balanced and then hooked safely to the truck. I’ve learned to be deliberate about the steps in hooking up the trailer, as a missed step could spell disaster on the road.
Each year we bring home the trailer battery and I keep it on a trickle charger all spring, summer and fall and there is always a worry that this will be the year the battery will die. Well, not this year anyway.

I had also planned to call and have a mobile tire replacement company come and put new rubber on the trailer, but with the storm coming I went ahead and made the trip on the old tires, which have plenty of tread, but a couple sidewalls are starting to look a little worn. It was a small gamble and it paid off.

Leaving Albuquerque early
With Flagstaff expecting 8 to 12 inches of snow Tuesday, and more on the way for Wednesday and Thursday we could have found ourselves trapped on the mountain when all we wanted to do was be in the valley.


Of course a 6 percent downgrade saves a lot of gas, but one must be careful not to use the brakes too much as stopping a 7,500-pound trailer and Tahoe could heat things up a bit. By carefully using the gas pedal I was able to make it down the hill without touching my brakes even once.

There is one spot on the trip down the mountain where the road heads back up another mountain before the final descent into Phoenix on I-17. I affectionately refer to the climb up that mountain as 2-gallon hill. Because the six-mile grade sucks up about that much gas.

We have been happy to note that gasoline in every state we have traveled through has been under $2 and in some case well below that. In Oklahoma City we purchased it for $1.63, but saw one place that had it for $1.49. So while 2-gallon hill is a challenge, it isn’t breaking the bank this year anyway.
At 3,000 feet the snow is pretty much gone

Of course a day like this could try one’s patience and as many of you know I am a patient, very patient man. Joan will be rolling her eyes at that line and has to constantly remind me to keep cool. I simply remind her that patience is my long suit and that “I am the most patient man she is currently married to.”  She can’t disagree with that one.

I have to admit to being frustrated by inconsiderate drivers who simply don’t realize that when they merge on a freeway directly in front of my 50-foot personal convoy, it is nearly impossible for me to stop on a dime when they pull in front and don’t speed up.

As we came down the long mountain we watched as the on board thermometer rose in relation to how far down we had come. At one point in the morning, as I mentioned previously, the low temperature was 23. By the time we got to Phoenix the car registered 66-degrees. By the time we arrived at the Voyager RV Resort the temps were steady at 60.
Now that's more like it

One of our favorite security people, “Lee,” met us at registration and directed us to our usual spot (9-197) and ably assisted me in backing the trailer into the spot. Joan loves Lee because she no longer has to be my guide which was always frustrating for her.

It was fun arriving back in Tucson and seeing all the tents going up for next month’s gem show, which is really a series of shows all over town. We are looking forward to Elin being her during that time.

It took about an hour to hook up the water, the electricity and cable and begin the process of packing away clothes, supplies and start to have fun in the sun. Oh, did I mention that El Nino has arrived here and the next three days are supposed to be wet, I mean Noah wet.

But there is plenty to do indoors and tomorrow night we will go to our first concert, “The Class of 66.” Our first dance is Friday night.
Home Sweet Tucson Home

Chances are I will not be posting every day as many of our days are pretty routine, but I will post at least every fourth or fifth day, so no need to check daily.

Mileage out: 35522

Mileage in to Flagstaff: 35841

Mileage in to Voyager Resort: 36122

Time out: 5:41 a.m.

Time in to Flagstaff: 10:31 a.m.

Time out of Flagstaff storage: 11:06 a.m.

Time in to Tucson: 3:47 p.m.

Total trip mileage: 2,255


3 comments:

  1. “I am the most patient man she is currently married to.” Jim Smith a perfect line, if there ever was one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We Smiths are a lot of things..but patience was replaced with humor I think. I am not long on patience either, but it makes for funny stories. Hows the smell issue these days?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently she is afraid to bring the subject up again. Can't for the life of me understand why? I think I smell pretty good, but then I have to live with me all the time.

    ReplyDelete