Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hockey, wine, basketball and a nice pork roast, all in a Sunday

Wine tasting at Haak's Winery
I started the day with  a brisk 3-mile walk this morning in a different direction than I have been walking. When I started out it was 48 degrees, so I wore my sweat clothes. By the time I was done the sun had heated things up to 62 and I was really cooking.
The walk took me by the other RV parks in San Leon and it now appears that despite my initial reservations we did pick the best park in the area. Some of the other parks are to put it charitably -  dumps. It is interesting to see how the new house buildings are being raised above the flood plain.

Joan and her wine
Also my walk crossed a marina where some old fishing boats are moored. I just hope the engines are in better shape than the exterior. They look like commercial shrimp boats and like they have had lots of work and maybe a violent storm or three.
Two new license plates showed up in the park yesterday – Nebraska and Mississippi – so that brings to 19 the number of different states we have seen represented here in just two weeks.

We had some mixed feelings today as we missed Addisen’s birthday party back home (we’re going to have a special one of our own when we get back). She is our youngest granddaughter  and we got to talk to her on the phone last night, which was special.
As it turned out she also lost her first baby tooth yesterday just before we called and she was really excited that the “Tooth Fairy” was coming. When I was talking to her on the phone I was tempted to tell her to tell her parents that the current going rate for the “Tooth Fairy” was $20, but I knew that my stepson John probably wouldn’t appreciate that.
Front of the winery

When Addisen was born I happened to be in New Orleans delivering a load of Hurricane Katrina supplies to a church in the Sixth Ward so I remember exactly where I was six years ago today as well. I drove down 20 hours straight, slept 6 hours on a cot in one of the rooms we had renovated and then returned with the truck overnight , another 20 hours back. I had to be back to work on Monday and I got back in time to meet my newest granddaughter before I collapsed in bed.
This afternoon we had the chance to watch a little hockey on NBC as the New York Rangers took on the Boston Bruins so that was fun.

Haak Vineyard grounds
After the hockey game we drove to a nearby winery and vineyard – Haak Winery – which is in Santa Fe, Texas about 22 miles from our park.
Joan found a couple nice wines she couldn’t live without and we also bought a couple bottles for the coming Family Literacy Center auction in May.

On the way home I drove Joan down where I had walked this morning and showed her some of the other RV parks and she agreed we didn’t do so badly with this one. One of my favorites is the sign at a local motel advertising Take out American and Mexican "Cuisine."
Cuisine? Really, cuisine, here?
I think you might get food there, but "cuisine" might be a bit much to expect.
Finally back home at the trailer we watched the end of the MSU versus Ohio State basketball game which was disappointing for MSU fans. (Actually, I’m not much of a basketball fan and really don’t follow the team until the NCAA Tournament, but it would have been nice to see them win.)

Joan whipped up some mashed potatoes and leftover pork roast and dinner was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment