Thursday, January 20, 2011

Key Largo welcomes the Smiths

Getaway day at Jonathan Dickinson State Park started early. I took advantage of a late check out time to take another 3-mile hike through the park and get in all my weight exercises.

Hooking up the trailer always takes about an hour because I prefer to do it slowly and methodically so I don't miss a step, like not attaching an important safety device to the ball and hitch, that kind of thing.

I always try to hook up the trailer and then take my shower so I will not be all hot and sweaty while I drive. Because we didn't have a sewer connection in our campsite we made a stop at the dump station and unloaded our excess baggage. No sense dragging that to the Keys with us, not to mention the extra weight and lower gas mileage.

We saw a lot of speeding police cars through the Miami area and later learned they had two police officers killed in a shooting today. Very sad and our hearts go out to the officers' families.

Except for the extra police activity the trip on the Florida Turnpike was uneventful.

After arrival at the Calusa Campground in Key Largo I had a very tight spot to maneuver the trailer into, but made it on the third try. Except that the park management stopped by after I had leveled and disconnected to tell me that I had to move the trailer about six feet to the east.

After I explained the difficulty I had squeezing into the spot, they agreed to send a tractor by to help maneuver the trailer into its proper spot. After that small hitch, we got settled, Joan got our laundry started and I finally got around to working on the computer again after a week's hiatus.

For dinner we enjoyed yet another Uncle Pete creation, a wonderful meaty chili that he sent along for us. The dish included some block Cheddar cheese and some cut onion. Needless to say we had a great dinner. (I'll include a photo here of Joan toasting Uncle Pete before we dug into the food).

We have Internet, Cable TV and a four-foot walk to the boat channel out our trailer door. We are in paradise, at least for a week.

Departure Mileage: 54424

Departure Time: 11:17 a.m.

Arrival Mileage: 54580

Arrival Time: 2:33 p.m.

1 comment:

  1. Great trip story! Your "slowly and methodically" attaching the Tahoe to the trailer is reminiscent of the horse trailer incident from the Battle Creek horse show and the lucky pony. Great to see your Uncle Pete and Aunt Judi are still looking wonderful! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete