Monday, January 24, 2011

A 'chilly' boat tour on the Atlantic


What would a trip to Key Largo be without a boat tour? Well, we took care of that today with a wonderful 3-hour tour of the Coral Reef off John Pennekamp State Park.

Temps did fall into the 40s the night we picked up Elin and Abby at the airport, but it promises to warm up as the week goes on.

Our tour left the dock at 3:15 p.m. and wound its way for nearly a half hour through the Mangrove swamps until we emerged into the Atlantic Ocean. A 7-mile trip across the open ocean to the offshore reef let me know that I should have worn long pants today as the air temperatures were a relatively brisk 65 degrees. Combined with the wind speed and boat speed it was downright chilly.

Just seemed wrong to be in the Keys and wearing long pants and a coat. So I toughed it out with my t-shirt and shorts.

Not Michigan chilly for sure, but cool enough for these old legs. The sea was a little rough so Elin and Joan purchased a sea sickness pill on the boat. The glass bottom boat provided very good vistas of the reef and the tour guide was very informative.

Elin, Abby and Joan slept in (OK, so did I a little) after their late night arrival at Ft. Lauderdale International Airport and the two-hour drive back to Key Largo. I know Miami Airport would have been closer, but because my geography is not always flawless, somehow in my head I told Elin when she was booking her flight that Ft. Lauderdale would be closer. Blame me, not her.

Anyway, we went to a local flea market (See photo of Buffalo above) before we headed to the State Park for the boat trip. At the flea market we bought some fresh fruits and veggies from a local farm market and we plan to enjoy them in the next few days. I think Abby scored a pair of sunglasses as well. I think a pulled pork sandwich and french fries were also involved.

Plans to go out and party tonight faded after the long boat trip and sea sickness medicine left a few of us kind of sleepy. We did watch a little playoff football.

1 comment:

  1. The water is so clear and you can really see the fishes and corals. Boat tours is a great way to see and appreciate the beauty of nature. How I wish I could go here. I just had my oban wildlife trips but this is going on my wish list as well.

    ReplyDelete