Thursday, March 28, 2013

We stay busy as the resort winds down

Cushing Street Bar and Restaurant
It’s been a busy couple of days around here as we prepare for the visit of John, Nicole and our two grandchildren (and the little one that’s on the way) this Easter.

We have taken a little time for some recreation around the park, but between laundry and shopping there hasn’t been a whole lot going on.
Well, except we went out for dinner Wednesday night to celebrate our 14th anniversary and then went to a performance of “Wicked” at the Tucson Music Hall after.

Joan outside the theater
The restaurant – The Cushing Street Bar and Restaurant – is housed in a stucco building that dates to the 1860s and is listed as an historic territorial structure.
It was beautiful inside and the food was very good. Joan had crab cakes and a beet salad, I had a Cajun Meatloaf and a bowl of Gazpacho. We shared an antipasto appetizer. While my food was very good it was also very spicy which was not a great choice for a meal just before sitting in a pretty full theater for three hours just an hour later.

On the way to the theater I was concerned that I was under dressed for the show as I was wearing a polo shirt and slacks and dress black shoes. No worries, to be underdressed in Tucson one would have to show up not dressed at all.
As I waited to go into the theater I suddenly felt slightly over dressed as people showed up in shorts, flip-flops and t-shirts.

The weather was perfect and we sat outside until it was time to go in and get our seats.
Inside the theater at intermission
I’ll also admit I was not particularly excited to see “Wicked” as I had never heard much about it and what I did made it sound a little girly. That concern grew when I heard a father in an animated conversation with his daughter about his concern that she would sing through the entire performance.

After imploring her not to sing along with the actors, the girl fired back, “But Daddy, I know all the words.”
The play was OK and I even followed the story (which is really a prequel to the old “Wizard of Oz” story) and the music was well performed.

Market Daze at the resort
We had balcony seats, but the theater was small enough it didn’t seem to matter that much.
Earlier on Wednesday we attended the resort’s “Market Daze,” which is a large collection of artisans who bring their crafts and wares to the resort. The show also includes a large number of resort residents who sell the jewelry, wood products, art and other objects made at the various shops at the resort.

If I haven’t mentioned it earlier there are classes and shops for  lapidary, stain glass, water color, sewing, quilting, silversmith, wood working, and other hobbies right here at the resort.
We ended up finding our annual travel souvenir, which was a unique metal sculpture of a Saguaro cactus with three howling coyotes at the foot of it. Part of the sculpture was made with barbed wire and we both instantly fell in love with it when we saw it.

Our souvenir
Right now it’s stored under the trailer until our time to head home.
Now that I think of it, Wednesday was a pretty full day after all.

On Thursday I was up early as I volunteered last week to lead the discussion at the Men’s Bible Study here at the resort. We are studying Philippians and this was the concluding chapter in the winter study.
The men were very helpful in the discussion and the hour passed very quickly. Tomorrow morning we have our farewell breakfast at the resort restaurant.

After Bible study I took a walk around the park to give Joan an extra hour of sleep and then it was time to make our weekly trip to the Laundromat.
After lunch we headed to the grocery store to start stocking up for the next week’s food.

University of Arizona cakes (NCAA tourney)
Tonight we went to the 7 p.m. Maundy Thursday service here at the park and it was very inspiring.
As I mentioned previously, things are starting to wind down here at the park. Bulletin boards that were once covered with activities and coming events are clear, the only postings left are the remaining church services for the Easter observances.

The board where I get information on the next hikes is also now clear and each morning I see more and more RVs leaving the park. The season is obviously almost over.

No comments:

Post a Comment