Friday, September 16, 2011

Oklahoma: The wind was 'sweepin down the plain'

Before we move onto today’s travels just a final word about yesterday’s camping spot. The KOA park was very nice, but we’ve added a new rule for picking a camping spot. From now on we will closely examine a map to see how close our campsite is to the nearest Grand Central Railroad station and the flight path to the local airport.
We hadn’t been parked an hour yesterday and three trains had rumbled by on the tracks adjacent to the park. I tried to relax the worried look in my bride’s face by telling her, “It’s probably just a daytime thing.” Wrong. I know these were freight trains but they were on a commuter train schedule even throughout the night.

About 5:41 a.m. (not that I was watching the clock or anything) we giggled as the umpteenth train of the night passed by. That was immediately followed by a commuter airplane taking off from wherever the Springfield Airport is, but certainly close to our location.

Today’s travel marked the Point of No Return to Williams, Arizona – our ultimate destination. A spot on the west side of Tulsa marked the halfway point – mileage wise – of our trip.
Passing by Oklahoma City reminded me of that awful day in April 1995 when Timothy McVeigh bombed the federal building and the resultant carnage and the local story at the Flint Journal when it turned out his accomplice, Terry Nicols, was from our coverage area.

At that time I was in the middle of a personal upheaval and Julie, who was my editor at the time, pretty much protected me from the long hours and days involved in that coverage. I will be eternally grateful to her for her compassion at that time.
OK, on to Foss, Oklahoma. Unquestionably this was the most difficult travel day by far. There were many construction zones and lots of heavy rain. Despite our personal inconvenience with the rain, it was very welcome to the folks down here.  One can see the evidence of drought especially in middle Oklahoma. 

On top of the rain, which subsided after Joan said a prayer in Oklahoma City, there was a fairly stiff head wind which always plays havoc with gas mileage. On this our sixth major trip with the trailer, I have learned not to stretch the gas stops too far so we don’t get in a situation where we have to sweat bullets to find a gas station that we will fit in.
We also passed through Joplin, Missouri which was the scene of a deadly tornado in May. From I-44 there was little evidence of that tornado.

The terrain changed dramatically from our morning start to our mid-afternoon stop. We are parked in Foss, Oklahoma and just like the song from the “Oklahoma” musical, the wind was “sweepin’ down the plain.”  Unlike the song, there is not much “wavin’ wheat to sure smell sweet.”
Lots of red earth, but as you can see in this picture the corn is a little stunted, likely due to the drought.

I was recalling the great Oklahoma land rush to Joan and how strange a time that must have been.
Once we were set up in our campsite, Joan grilled us a couple steaks, some twiced baked potatoes, home grown Michigan tomatoes in Italian dressing and home baked rolls. Life is good. Tomorrow we head to New Mexico.

I'm in the picture at right because Joan said I take too many photos of her. She's wrong, but who am I to argue.

So far no trains or airplanes, but we are right next to the freeway, but we are used to that noise. I've got Joan working on her prayers for tomorrow's weather.

Special note: I am probably a wanted fugitive in Oklahoma because we came upon a toll road that had no people to take the toll. I had no change and there was no way to pay with bills. I even stopped the trailer about 100 yards ahead off the road and walked back to the shack to see if I could find someone to pay my $2.30 to, but no one was there. So I'll keep you posted and be ready with bail.

Tonight after dinner I went outside and met our "neighbors." When he saw our Lapeer sticker on the trailer he smiled and mentioned he was from Lake Orion. With our children and grandchildren living there we remarked on the incredible coincidence.

Mileage out:  75786
Time out:  8:31 a.m.

Mileage in: 76168
Time in: 3:35 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment