Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A long walk on a long pier (breakwater)

After a leisurely morning, Joan and I (after "Days of Our Lives," of course) headed to the lakeshore to finally take a walk along the breakwater out to the third of the local lighthouses.

We have been careful to pick a safe time to walk out there because on Sunday a fisherman drowned off the end of the breakwater and the local news reported that this was the third drowning in that vicinity this summer.

Last Thursday's attempt was aborted (before the drowning) because the winds were causing the waves on Lake Michigan to break over the top of the breakwater which we assumed would (1) get us wet and cold and (2) would not be safe.

The walk was beautiful and the lighthouse seems a fortress standing against the Lake.

Just for fun today I wore the "airplane" shirt my father sent me a couple years ago. It is very colorful and always reminds me of my "favorite" newspaper assignment many years ago on a B-24 Liberator bomber.

As I reported last week, most of the sand has been cleaned up from the park and put back on the beach. Snow fences are now in place to hold the sand on the beach where it belongs.

Back at camp we cleaned up, put down the awning and I spent a couple hours reading my latest book in the Master and Commander series. Joan fixed us bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches for dinner using our home grown tomatoes.

The weather is cooling tonight and tomorrow's plans depend on the weather.








No comments:

Post a Comment