Saturday, July 17, 2010

A walk to the mill (again), a play about Peter and an Amish "Rock" concert


Another full day in Indiana. A lot of different activities, including "horse" made ice cream. It was "Christmas in July" at the Eby's Pines campground where we were staying, but we didn't learn in time to prepare a proper Christmas display and participate in the trailer judging.

Even Santa was here today. Hope he had his 24-hour deodorant on as it was hot again today.

The day started early and my brother-in-law, Denny, and I took the two-mile round trip walk to the Bonneyville Mill Park that I made the first morning we were here. In the rest room at the mill Denny and I ran into two young men putting on tuxedos for a wedding in the park.

One of them was the groom, the other the best man. We couldn't resist having a little fun. I wished them congratulations and Denny wished the groom condolences. Then they asked for a little advice and I told them I had lots of advice because I was on my third marriage. They got a laugh out of that.

Always remember the most important three words a man can tell his wife," I said. "I was wrong." Denny disagreed and said the three most important words were "I am sorry." Then Denny told them marriage wasn't really a 50-50 proposition, but more like a 90-10, or sometimes a 10-90 situation.

Hope they have a good life.

Then we headed back to Shipshewana for the afternoon performance of "The Rock, The Redeemer and the Resurrection Morning." It was a locally produced musical on the life of apostle Peter "The Rock." It was one of those "I laughed, I cried...." things.

The singing was outstanding, the comedy was good and the story line was touching. This is a play that we all recommend to our friends and family and it will be at the Blue Gate Restaurant and Theater for another four weeks.

I told the cast after the play that they should take this one the road. They would if they found someone to help them find places to perform. I hope they find that someone.

After the play we joined the crowds outside for the Ice Cream Social and some wonderful gospel music downtown. The crowds we joined were largely local Amish families and I can't tell you how much I have come to appreciate the kind and gentle folk that live the "old ways."

One of the "ways" they make real ice cream is using a horse on a treadmill to churn the fine cream into a delicious treat. Because of the diet I am on, I could only take a small taste, but the other members of the party thought the ice cream was pretty good.

The same company that performed the play we had just seen took the stage out of costume and performed many of the same songs, but a few old standards including a wonderful rendition of "How Great Thou Art." Then we stayed for a performance of "Breakthrough" a gospel group from Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

We shopped for fruit at Yoder Supermarket and bought meat at the Yoder Meat Market and headed home for dinner.

Before we left town I snapped a couple photos of the Amish parallel parking lot for the concert. We left early so we missed the giant traffic jam of horse and carriages at the end of the street festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment