Saturday, July 24, 2010

A lazy, hazy, crazy day of summer

Actually, not so crazy. Today we never left the park. We took a long walk, did some laundry, spent long hours reading and enjoyed a wonderful Amish chicken dinner that Joan cooked. (Photo shows Joan enjoying her newspaper after dinner).

A day that started with thunder, lightning and pouring rain ended in full sun and cooler temperatures. Tomorrow looks good as well.

Back in 2002, I read the Patrick O'Brian book, "Master and Commander." In 2003 a bunch of guys from the Journal went to see the Russell Crowe movie by the same name. I loved the book and movie and decided that I wanted to read the entire book series (21 books in all).

For the past few years, Joan has bought me one or two of the books each birthday, Christmas, Father's Day, etc. until I know own all but two of the books and those will be mine soon.

As a boy, I loved reading books in series. I read many of the Hardy Boys books and most, if not all, the Tom Swift books. But because I was still working in 2003, I decided that the reading project would be delayed until I retired.

Well, I'm retired. On this trip, so far, I have finished Book 2, "Post Captain," and am well into Book 3, "H.M.S. Surprise." The books are full of sailing jargon and old school sea battles. The writing is tremendous, even if Patrick O'Brian was known as a pretty disagreeable person. Actually, a lot of good writers share that trait.

What a wonderful pleasure is a few alone hours with a good book. Only 18 more to go.

The picture at right is one of our neighbors who is flying the American Flag and the MSU flag above his rig. There's a guy with his priorities straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment