Friday, July 23, 2010

A day that proved we are 100 percent retired

When Joan and I dreamed of retirement, days like today were pretty much what we envisioned. Other than a brief stop at an RV repair place to make a permanent fix to our hitch (nothing serious just a continuing nagging problem) we pretty much chilled today.

I slept in until 7:30 a.m. (hey, that’s sleeping in to me) and Joan first saw daylight about 9:15 a.m. We took a 50-minute walk around the park, zig-zagging our way through the lanes of campers. Some of the rigs here are very luxurious and our trailer falls somewhere in the middle of the rigs here.

After getting cleaned up we headed for Pentwater, Michigan a little summer resort village that you will find in a number of places around Lake Michigan. After a brief stop at the RV repair shop we stopped at a small winery we found on the Internet last night.

The small family winery, first planted in 1996, is called Jomagrha a compilation of four family members’ first names – John, Mary, Graham and Harry. We met John and Harry and as most people know I don’t drink so Joan did all the sampling and we walked out with four bottles of their best wine. Old Lady White, Cayras, Vignoles and Night Sky Red.

After the wine purchase we headed into downtown Pentwater. The historical museum is only open three days a week, and Friday wasn’t one of the days so we walked downtown sampling the souvenir shops and galleries there.

While Joan was in one of the galleries and I was waiting ever so patiently in front of the store a man pulled up, obviously a local, and asked if I had any questions about Pentwater. “None that I can think of right now,” I told him. But he persisted. “Do you know where the bathrooms are?” And being the smart alec that I am responded “Oh, I see you know my wife.”

Today was the first day I wore my Father’s Day present made by my stepson John. “100 percent Retired.” Between my t-shirt and Joan’s bonnet we got lots of looks today. You can see the puzzled looks on folks looking at Joan's hat as they ponder whether she is Amish, but know that she couldn't be that and wearing shorts.

We headed back to Mears and our camp and Joan thawed the spaghetti she made before we left Lapeer and we had a wonderful dinner on our patio, under our awning and Joan poured herself a tall glass of Nigh Sky Red.

Last night’s rain, faded into overcast skies until the sun came out for good today about 3:30 p.m. It was a glorious day.

At one point today, Joan asked me if I felt retired. “Oh yeah,” I said.

And, yes, I sorely need a haircut and a beard trim. Next Thursday at the earliest.

No comments:

Post a Comment