Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A wrong address leads to a beautiful garden


A wrong address led us to a wonderful experience today at the McKee Botanical Gardens in Vero Beach.

When I called OnStar today I have them an address for the Manatee Observation and Education Center I gave them Vero Beach as the city. Actually I should have given them Ft. Pierce. But the address I gave them in Vero Beach turned out to be the McKee Botanical Gardens.

When I realized my error too late, we decided to stop for lunch at the café in the gardens, but once there decided it looked interesting enough to pay the $8 admission fee to look around. We were not disappointed.

The history of the Gardens is interesting as it was once a major attraction until the nearby Orlando attractions drained visitors away. It was closed for a time and most of it was sold off to developers. But what has survived is very beautiful and worth the stop.

Then we went looking for Manatees, but the parking lot where they can be watched was closed today. Instead Joan indulged me on a visit to the Mel Fisher Treasure Museum in Sebastian. Of course she enjoyed the gold, silver and jewelry found on those wrecks, so it wasn't completely lost on her. It was a great stop with lots of spectacular artifacts found in one of the many successful treasure dives made by Mel Fisher and his crews.

After that stop, we returned back to our camp and decided to catch up on laundry. We’ve been gone six days and we each left with seven days clothing, so it was time.

Because of our many stops this weeks we put off the celebration of our wedding anniversary, so tonight we had a wonderful dinner at Captain Hiram’s in Sebastian. Captain Hiram’s is located on the water and the food was outstanding.

Tomorrow we are meeting my cousin Ken and Aunt Judi for lunch in Vero Beach. We are hoping my cousin’s wife, Khlai can also join us.

Another very good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment