Monday, April 12, 2010

A windy retreat from Florida ends in South Carolina

When I mentioned "set sail" for home in yesterday's post, it was more prophetic than I could have imagined.

As we left Vero Beach this morning it was as if I had a spinnaker attached to the back of my Tahoe. A heavy crosswind stayed with us all the way north through Florida, Georgia and part of South Carolina.

My hands ache tonight from gripping the steering wheel and fighting the wind. It also didn't do much for our gas mileage, but we never worry too much about that.

Today was a bit of an adventure as we had originally plotted to return on I-75, but made a last minute course correction to come home via I-95, I-26 and I-77. So far we've completed the I-95 and I-26 part and are a short distance into the I-77 part.

Tonight we are staying in Fort Mill, South Carolina at a KOA. We began to worry we weren't going to find a place to stay when we dialed up OnStar which came to the rescue with a little research and a phone call. We pulled in, quickly set up the hook-ups and Joan made a quick dinner on the stove.

We are watching a public television show on animal adaptations and one of the subject animals is an alligator, so I guess we're not quite done with the big lizards. We plan to rise early and make tracks to Ohio tomorrow night and them home on Wednesday.

Start time and mileage: 8:52 a.m. - 32785
End time and mileage: 6:59 p.m. - 33349

No comments:

Post a Comment