Saturday, January 21, 2012

A quiet beautiful day in the San Antonio neighborhood

Today was all about organization and clean-up. With all the traveling there has been little time to clean, organize and spruce up the trailer, so today was the day.

With light winds and temperatures in the low 70s, it was a good day to clean out the storage area under the trailer and reorganize and clean out three years of dust and clutter.
Joan worked on the inside of the trailer and did our laundry after a week of travel.  

With all the chores done we pulled out the trailer awning and enjoyed the warm sunshine outdoors. I picked up “The Ionian Mission,” which is book 8 of the 21-volume “Master and Commander” series by Patrick O’Brian. This is a volume I started last spring in Florida, continued in Arizona and will likely finish tomorrow.
Annoying bird
I save the books for our trips and don’t read them at home so I have many more years of reading ahead.

While we were sitting outside a local bird resident, we believe a Great Tail Grackle, that has not been happy with us since we landed yesterday began making its weird noises and letting us know again that he is not happy we are here.
We were also visited by a small woodpecker to be identified and named later. Joan didn’t get her bird book out in time to identify it.


New bonnet
Oh, and Joan decided today was the day to debut her new bonnet.

About 3 p.m. as we do nearly every day we are in a park we took a walking tour and waved to our many neighbors. Jim met a man – Tony – who is from Minnesota who said he and his wife came here on a short visit 12 years ago, loved the place and have come back for 12 consecutive winters.
For dinner we enjoyed leftovers from “The Hungry Farmer” last night and enjoyed a day with no driving.

After pulling out the awning I noticed it needs some attention and will likely clean it on Monday. Tomorrow promises to be another quiet day with church in the morning, grocery shopping after and then home to watch football.

When it came time to put the awning up (we don't leave it down because it is vulnerable to winds and that is something they have in abundance here) I decided to leave the tie down rods in the ground. The tie down roads are used to anchor the awning so if a sudden wind came up the awning won't rip off the trailer.

Within 30 seconds of unhooking the tie downs and putting up the awning I tripped over one of the rods and fell flat on my face (sorry, no photos) and nearly broke my glasses and nose. I hurt my pride more than my face although I skinned up my nose and forehead just slightly.

After that I pulled the rods out of the ground and put them away.

No comments:

Post a Comment