Monday, January 23, 2012

Cleaning, cleaning, more cleaning, potluck and hockey. All in a day's work

Another quiet day in San Antonio, although we both got a lot of work done. With the trailer now in its third year, the condition of the awning has been bugging me a little. So today was the day for pulling out the awning and employing a little elbow grease to get it clean.

Moisture gets into the fabric and it has a tendency to start mold growing. So with a little mixture of bleach and water I set to work to clean it up. At one point Joan saw me working hard and suggested I try her “Magic Eraser” sponge, which worked really well.
With only water, the sponge did a better job than the bleach mixture and with a lot less effort. “So how long have you been hiding this little miracle of household cleaning from me?,” I asked.  Anyway, if you have a tough scrub job, I highly recommend the “Magic Eraser.”

It took about two hours to complete the job, but both sides of the awning look almost like new.
With that project done, I looked sideways at my car and decided this was a good day to get it washed. A u-wash place is just a block away and I drove the Tahoe there, vacuumed the inside and washed the outside. I really like this wash because you can operate it with just two quarters at a time, which meant it cost considerably less to wash my car here than at home.

While I was doing my cleaning, Joan was hard at work washing the towels and linens which we have been using for a week. She also was preparing a large meal of beef stew for the potluck dinner in the park tonight. I wore a cool airplane Hawaiian shirt my father recently sent to me.

I was hoping for leftover beef stew for dinner on Tuesday, but apparently the folks here liked the stew and devoured the whole thing.
So at 6 p.m. we headed to the recreation hall where we joined a few dozen other park visitors for the weekly pot luck. We had to introduce ourselves because this was our first visit. Folks were very friendly (we sat with a lady who originally came from Ferndale, Michigan) a couple from Illinois and another couple who come all the way from San Antonio, Texas.

Back at the trailer, I found that Versus was carrying the Detroit Red Wings vs. St. Louis Blues game so life is good. Especially since the Red Wings won in a feisty contest by a 3-1 score. Go Wings. Also we bought tickets to the San Antonio Rampage hockey game, which is Faith and Family Night which we heard about at church on Sunday.
Something ironic about going to a fight filled hockey game on Faith and Family Night.

Tomorrow Joan is going to the ladies’ morning exercise class and I plan to do, well, nothing.
The picture accompanying this post was sent to me by my father in sympathy for the noisy bird than continues to assail us.

No comments:

Post a Comment