Wednesday, April 8, 2009

From Berea to Frankfort: 90 minutes, no anxiety and two small bandages

So today was moving day. That is moving from Berea to Frankfort, Kentucky and a chance to practice our breaking camp and setting up camp skills again.
We stayed at Elkhorn Campground.

Today went much better than our departure from Lapeer. No chain saws, no need for Greg to come take a look at the hitch and far less anxiety in both the set up and driving. I did however manage to rip open my left pinkie finger, bleeding profusely and a few bad words snuck out.

Next I cut my left index finger knuckle – more bleeding – and then I twisted my left middle finger so that it is an ugly shade of purple, but all digits still work and the wounds inflicted were all my fault. Can’t blame Joan, can’t blame the trailer, can’t even blame the weather. It was beautiful today.

We left the “Oh KY Campground” at 11:50 a.m. and made the 90-minute drive with no problems.

We arrived at our new campground and found our space quickly and were on line by 2:30 p.m. It’s a beautiful tree-lined park and we are very happy to be settled here for a few days. Again, the people here in Kentucky could not be more helpful.

There was one small glitch. I have a 25-foot water hose on board, but the distance from the trailer’s water spigot to the park spigot was 27-feet. So I had to make a quick trip to Sear’s to buy a 10-foot hose extension, but that was pretty minor.

We had a quick salami, cheese and cracker lunch and decided instead of sitting around the trailer, we’d do a little Frankfort exploring. Last night I found the Salato Wildlife Center in Frankfort and it looked like an interesting place to visit.

The center had a black bear, two Kentucky bobcats (one is the official mascot of the University of Kentucky), deer, elk, bison, snakes, fish, snapping turtles and my favorite, snakes, and lots of great exhibits. We also got a nice walk in during the warm weather, so it was a terrific afternoon.
Back at the trailer at 5:30 p.m. to watch the news on cable television (yeah, we’re roughing it) and later plan to watch a Netflix movie we brought with us. I told Joan we could continue the day’s wildlife theme by having dinner at that Owl Restaurant, I think it’s called Hooter’s, but she said no.

So it’s leftovers tonight, but tomorrow it’s either some Frankfort sightseeing or Louisville sightseeing, we haven’t decided yet.

1 comment:

  1. salami and cheese and cracker lunch is my fave. It reminds me of watching Days on the couch with mom during our summers off.

    ep

    ReplyDelete