Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Friends and family brighten our time in Arizona


    I’m baaack!  Just when I thought I could keep this blog up to date I failed miserably. I have no excuses, but we have been busy with friends and family who have come to the desert to visit. 

   When last we visited I had just had an MRI on my knee and was awaiting results. Well, things have progressed quite a bit since then. The verdict was a torn meniscus, which in short means my hiking days for this season are over. No more mountains to climb this year.

   The orthopedic doctor here is not knife happy and suggested I try physical therapy to strengthen my left knee (my right knee is just fine) and try and avoid any surgery or pain blocking medication.

Denny and Diane at the Battle of the Bulge Memorial
   So for the last two weeks I have been going twice a week to a physical therapist based right here in the resort and the pain is subsiding and the legs are getting stronger. My hope is that I will continue to strengthen my knees and return to some aggressive hiking next season. For now though, I have to watch all my hiking friends climbing without me.

   In addition to my twice a week physical therapy sessions the good therapist has given me a half dozen exercises to complete each day to strengthen my knees. He calls them exercises, I call them torture.

   One of the things I try (not always successfully) to do is not complain. Joan and I are truly blessed to be able to come to Voyager each year so a little setback this year with not being able to continue to hike is a little frustrating, but a minor inconvenience compared to challenges faced by so many others.

   God has been so good to us and we have such a great family and friends that I don’t want any of this to come off as complaining. Life throws us a curve now and then but we continue to be thankful for all that we have and enjoy.

    Our Michigan Party on March 2nd turned into a stress filled event as the weather promised to dump heavy rain on our outdoor party. For days leading up to the party, the local television stations were filled with the impending doom of rain (yes, they get pretty amped up over a little moisture here). Each succeeding day it looked worse and worse for the party.

    The only indoor alternative was to share a space (if they were open to it) with the Oregon and Washington folks who had a combined event planned for the ballroom at the same time as ours.

   So on Saturday, just two days before the party, I contacted the organizers of the Oregon/Washington party and presented them with a request to share their space. In keeping with the fun Voyager spirit they quickly invited us to join them in the ballroom and the party went on without a hitch. (By the way, it never rained, but it was a little cooler than normal.) Joan and I spent an hour calling all of those who signed up for the party to tell them of our new location.

Denny at Pima Air Museum
   On Tuesday, February 18, our friends Roger and Jessica from Grand Blanc, Michigan arrived in their RV and set up just two spaces from us. This is the third year they have joined us here in Tucson and it is great fun having them here.

   Roger is my former editor at the Flint Journal and more than a boss he has become a really good friend along with his wife, Jessica. We have a lot of laughs and fun. He and Jessica play Bocce Ball and have attended the concerts with us.

   The Alabama Tribute concert was great along with the Sixties Mania program this past week.
    Joan continues her volunteer work at the Voyager clinic and I continue to get up early three days a week to set up the ballroom for various events. Without my 2-3 days a week hiking schedule I find a lot of idle time here in the park.

    We attended Ash Wednesday services here in the park on February 26 so we didn’t have a show that night. The following week on March 4 was the Sixties Mania show.

    More fun began on Sunday March 1 when Joan’s sister, Diane, and brother-in-law Denny arrived from Maryland after a week long car trip across the country. They have rented a park model for a month here and because it was available for them to occupy until Monday , March 2, they stayed overnight with us in the trailer.

   It's not the first time they have stayed in the trailer in fact they have visited us in the trailer in Indiana, Texas and Arizona previously.

   We are having a lot of fun with them as they are meeting some of our friends and seeing all the activities in the park. Denny and I meet in the Fitness Center early in the morning so he can do his program and I can rehab my knee.

    Last Friday, we had dinner with all of our company in the Voyager Grill on fish fry night. A good time was had by all.

   Denny and I made a trip to the Pima Air and Space Museum last week and this Friday (March 13), Denny me and my friend Bob from Minnesota are going to the Titan Missile Museum. I'll write more about that after I procrastinate another three weeks and do a post.

We attended the Voyager Pinewood Derby, a Reminiscence Dance, Market Daze, lecture series, church, potlucks and a variety of other activities here in the old Pueblo.

The back side of the Bulge Memorial



    Diane and Jessica have been going with Joan to Zumba classes and aquacise and Joan continues to make polymer clay jewelry. Some of those creations she shared at the resort wide “Show and Tell” event this past week.

    Diane and Denny joined us at Meet Me at Maynard’s on Monday night and got registered and are now official MMMers.  We had a nice dinner of bratwursts at the Ten 55 
   

    During our walk we stopped to pay respects to the Battle of the Bulge Monument near the old City Hall. Joan and Diane's Dad was a veteran of the U.S. Army's World War II 75th Division that earned their reputation and awards in that battle.

  With more “impending” rain the park was quiet on Tuesday, March 10, but Denny, Diane joined us for their second Tuesday potluck in the ballroom.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment