Friday, January 18, 2013

Just a walk in the woods, er desert

One of the things I have been compiling is a list of things we have learned while RVing. Just Wednesday, after a frustrating battle with the water heater, I wrote exactly the following on Grandma’s Recess: “Here’s another fact of setting up an RV: Whenever you run into an electrical problem you will always check the fuse box first, but the problem is never the fuses. Call it Smith’s RV Law No. 1.”

So on Thursday morning, the trailer suddenly seemed cold and the furnace wasn’t working. Half as a joke, I told Joan I guess I’ll have to check the fuses. Darn if it wasn’t the fuse this time. That’s what I get for violating my own rule to “Never say never.”
Me at the Arizona Trail
We’ve been enjoying the quiet of a couple non-travel days here in Arizona. Joan can use the rest and probably I can too. We’ve been looking for resort activities to get involved in and I am going to join a Men’s Bible Study and a Hiking group. Joan is thankful for the hiking group because my plan was originally to go off into the Arizona mountains on my own. (Don’t tell her, but I still may do that).

The resort is very, very nice, but I can’t help but think it is our generation’s version of a child’s summer camp. Call it Senior Citizen’s Winter Camp. You get to wear an ID badge, you sign up for activities and instead of canoes in the lake there are golf carts running everywhere.
Instead of lifeguards there are AEDs to jolt your ancient heart back into action if you suddenly die.

Everywhere I look there are silver and blue-haired people. Of course, they are looking at me and saying the same thing. But honestly, it is all good.
Because of the cold weather we completely drained one propane tank and were working on our reserve tank so we waited most of the day for a propane delivery which finally came about 4:15 p.m. It did give me a chance to sit out front in my chair with my book and enjoy the warm sunshine.

I also spent some time on the phone with Internet technical support to get Joan’s computer added to the mix so she can communicate with her friends and family.
For dinner Thursday Joan fixed my favorite Taco Salad. Yesterday we signed up to see the Arizona Symphony’s “Symphonic Winds” concert here at the resort next Wednesday. We also bought a ticket to see the “Doo Wop Divas” in late February. The prices are ridiculously low so it is a good deal.

We also made our plans for our trip to visit family and friends in California in February so we took care of a lot of housekeeping chores on Thursday.
As much as Joan and I enjoy traveling and being together there are times when I know Joan needs a little space. You know, “for better or worse, but not for lunch.” So this morning I went on my first hike with a group here at the resort.

It was a five-mile trip along the Arizona Trail, which is a continuous trail that begins at the Mexican border and runs 800-miles north to the border of Utah. The trail crosses high mountains, desert and private and public lands.
The portion of the trail that we did was 2 ½-miles (five miles after the round trip) and included only a gentle climb, but beautiful vistas.
The red color indicates frost damage to the cactus

The group meets each every Friday and I will be joining them every Friday we are here. Met Brian, a very nice man from Nova Scotia, Ron who lives most of the year in a town near Anchorage, Alaska, Timow, a man visiting from Finland, Brad, our guide and full time Tucson resident, along with a couple other folks whose names I have forgotten.
The weather was perfect, temps in the 60s, a mild breeze and just a nice 3-hour walk through the desert.

This group is the “Easy/Moderate Hike Group” on Tuesday I’m going to try the “Moderate/Hard Hike Group” and see how that goes.
After getting home, Joan was organizing the trailer and working on the inside. (I think she enjoyed her quiet time this morning).
An undamaged cactus

I walked the park a little bit and then I sat in the 75-degree sun and read my book. For dinner I had hot dogs and Joan had homemade chicken salad (this would be the leftover chicken from Roswell).
The hiking group gave me some great suggestions for day trips we can make in the area.

See you tomorrow.


If you want to see more photos scroll down and see some additional photos from today's walk.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment