Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A return to our Amish friends


We experienced our first real winter night since we left Michigan. Temperatures down in the 20s, snow on the ground and the propane heater ran several times during the night just to keep us at 65 degrees in here.

My initial worries that we might have trouble plowing through the mud tomorrow when it is time to leave were relieved this morning when I saw how hard everything froze up overnight. Tonight is supposed to be 18, so it should be like driving on concrete when we leave her tomorrow for home.

Up early today so I did my weight exercises and crunches while watching a little local TV. I also worked on organizing our photos a little bit so it won’t be so hard to find them when I’m old and senile.

For seven weeks we have camped in RV parks that were relatively full, some were completely full, and I never had to wait for a shower the whole time. We like using the camp showers because they are usually pretty nice and much roomier than our trailer shower.

One of the maintenance dangers to a trailer is moisture inside and nothing creates moisture like a warm shower, so that is another reason that we use the camps’ showers. Heck, you’re already paying for it anyway so why not?

But I digress, in this huge park, which is essentially empty except for Joan and I and maybe one other camper, they have kept open only one shower house. So I headed over to clean up and to my amazement the only other person in the park was using the single shower available. But he finished soon and my mission was accomplished. I thought it was Just kind of ironic.

Late this morning, we headed out to pick up some handmade things that my sister-in-law ordered while we were visiting here last summer. First we went to the weaver’s home where Irma met us in the driveway and handed us a set of beautiful woven goods for Diane’s new table. Seat covers, runners and placemats were all neatly placed in a plastic bag.

Next stop was just down the road at Irma’s cousin, Ivan Helmuth, who had made a custom dinette table for Diane. Ivan was not there, but his daughter allowed us to pack up the table and chairs in Ivan’s shop and head on our way. The table and chairs were beautiful and we know Diane will be pleased with the result even if it took awhile.

Finally we went to our favorite meat store, Yoder’s meats, in Shipshewanna, and stocked up on steaks, burger and cheese.

The rest of the day will be packing up and getting ready to hitch up in the morning and head to home sweet home.

No comments:

Post a Comment