Saturday, March 30, 2019

Adios Tucson, Hello California

Chiracahua Hike 

   We’re on the road again making the long trip back to Michigan. And by long, I mean really long as we are adding a Northwest leg to this trip so Joan can visit the Redwoods in California, the State of Oregon and Washington and finally North Dakota. After that she, like me, will have visited all 50 states.


   But before I get too far ahead of myself let’s finish up our last week in Tucson and our first day on the road.

   After the Sunday symphony, the rest of the week was pretty much a blur. Because of some commitments to help with table and chair set up on Monday I was unable to hike with the Monday hiking group.

   We did say good bye to Walt McCandless at his memorial service (well, I did, Joan had to work at her volunteer job at the resort health clinic). I didn’t know Walt well personally but I knew of him and well enough to say hi to him when I saw him in the resort. He was a tremendous keyboard player and we went to many dances over the years where he was a key performer.

Big Balanced Rock
   Then Monday afternoon we went to a birthday potluck party for my hiking friend Butch in the resort courtyard.

   Early Tuesday I headed out with the Tuesday hiking group to do our annual end-of-the-year hike in the Chiracahua Mountains. It is a beautiful hike that visits many unusual rock formations unique to this area.

   It was one of the warmest days of the year so the hiking was a little more difficult than usual for this 9-mile trek. This is one of my favorite hikes and this year did not disappoint. The only downside of this hike is the 90-minute travel time each way to Willcox.

    I arrived back just in time to meet Joan in the ballroom for our last Tuesday potluck dinner of the season. The numbers of people attending just about everything is dwindling but there was still plenty of food.

   Two of my hiking friends agreed to go on one more hike with me Wednesday to finish off my season. Gayle, who winters her with her husband Rod from Saskatchewan, Canada, and Dave, met me at 8 a.m. Wednesday and we headed to the Tucson Mountains to hike the Brown Mountains. I did this hike earlier this year with Chuck, but neither Gayle or Dave had done this hike previously so they were happy to go with me.

Dave & Gayle on hike
   On Wednesday, Joan  cleaned and did laundry while I was out playing and then Wednesday night we went to our final concert (there is one more, but we won’t be here April 3. We gave our tickets to our friends Gayle and Rod to use.

    The show was a tribute concert to the Righteous Brothers and a number of other classic 60s groups. As usual the musicians and singers were great.


    Joan and I are both blessed with the many good friends we have met here at the Voyager over the years. It is always with mixed feelings that we leave this place.

   On Thursday, I attended my last Men’s Bible Study, which on this day was our annual closing breakfast. About 20 men attended and we said good by to my friend Roger who is not coming back to the resort in the future. It was bitter sweet as he and his wife seem happy with their decision to stay home and enjoy their great-grand children for the next stage of their lives, but a lot of us are going to miss them next year.

Gayle and me
    The rest of the day was spent with Joan and I packing and preparing for the big getaway day on Friday. Well, Joan also had a doctor’s appointment to get an allergy shot and we both went to a local barber to get haircuts for the long ride home.

   Well, I did teach my last Thursday night Bible study and said good bye to another great group of friends. Everything in the last week is “the last” for the season.

   Friday, our final day in the park started early. Preparing the trailer for travel requires dumping the tanks for waste water and grey water, disconnecting cable tv, the water supply line, the electric service, etc. I had to remove the tire covers and get all the pins and equipment needed to hook up the trailer to the Tahoe.

   We went to the office and turned in our gate card and mail box key and then paid our final electric bill to the park.

   At 9 a.m. we were hooked up and left the resort enroute to Camping World for winterization and as it turned out a new hydraulic lift as the old one (12 years old) finally crapped out. The service took most of the day so we went and saw a movie to kill some time.

View from Brown Mountain summit
   Because we didn’t cook breakfast in the trailer on Friday, after we dropped off the trailer I took Joan to Waffle House for breakfast as she had never been to one before.

    We took a drive around Saguaro East National Park to look at the super bloom of flowers. Joan had not been to the park during the season so we got her there on the last day of our trip.


   The service took most of the day so we went and saw a movie to kill some time. We saw “Glass” which was an interesting psychological thriller which is the best way I can describe it. The acting was great, the story was good, but weird.

    Back at Camping World we paid our bill, repacked the trailer (we have to leave stuff out of the trailer so the service people can get at the water system for the winterization) and then headed out on the first leg of our trip home.

Cactus flowers
   It was 82 when we left Tucson and the Michigan State versus LSU game was on the radio so we listened to the game as we headed to our first stop – dinner in Casa Grande.  We always stop at Mimi’s Restaurant because there is a very large and empty parking lot next to the restaurant where we can safely park the truck and trailer while we eat.


   After dinner we headed to Phoenix to top off the gas tank on the Tahoe and begin the long drive up the “hill” to Flagstaff. As we have for the past few years we drive to the last rest area before Flagstaff on I-17 where we sleep in the trailer until early the next morning. 

Desert blooms
   We tucked the rig between two grumbling semi-trucks (drivers leave their engines running all night because of the cold temperatures) and went to sleep. We were up early and left the rest area at 5:59 a.m.

   From the rest area it is only another hour and 3,000-feet of elevation until we arrive at our storage lot outside Flagstaff.


  It takes about an hour to go through our checklist and get the trailer stored for the summer.  It was particularly difficult this morning because temperatures were in the low 20s which made it hard to work my hands. But we successfully stored the trailer and were on our way.

    After storing the trailer we headed to the nearby Pilot station to top off the Tahoe and as I pulled in the driveway of the station two men were trying to push a car up an incline so I parked my car jumped out and helped them push. Another guy ran up and we were able to get the car up next to a pump.

Camping with the semis
   One area along I-40 is designated “Safety Corridor” and you are warned that there is zero tolerance for violations. I just have one question, why wouldn’t every road be a “safety corridor.” There was a sign that said “End of Safety Corridor.”  I told Joan I guess I can drive recklessly now.

   Another thing that confused me this morning is that the agricultural inspection station along I-40 just inside the California border was fully manned this morning. Traffic was backed up and in the past they have always asked whether we had citrus fruit in the car. This time they just slowed traffic down and then passed everyone through.

Welcome to California
   At least give me the chance to lie about the fact that I don’t have any citrus fruit in the car. (We did have citrus fruit in the car, but they never bothered to ask us about it). So explain to me why bother with four lanes of inspectors if no one even is going to ask a question and just pass everyone through.

   At one of the rest areas we stopped at in California there was a lone violinist playing his/her heart out to no one. I snapped a photo because I thought it was a typical California type incident.

Anti-toilet paper theft device
   Thefts of toilet paper must be a major problem at rest areas because the extreme measures folks have gone to to prevent these thefts are amazing. I snapped a photo today of a contraption meant to thwart toilet paper thieves.

   I avoided a running road rage incident along California 58 by backing off and letting the idiots run ahead of us.

   The wildflowers in the Mojave Desert are incredible this year with wide fields of yellow and purple flowers everywhere.

  We arrived in Bakersfield and went to dinner at a place call Bootleggers. This was kind of Joan’s birthday dinner as her birthday is tomorrow.


Time out at Voyager Friday morning: 9:01 a.m.


Mileage out: 7453

Time out at Tucson Camping World: 5:15 p.m.

Time in at I-17 Rest Area near Prescott: 10:14 p.m.
Fiddler in the Rest Area

Time out of Rest Area: 5:59 a.m.

Time in to Storage Lot: 7 a.m.

Mileage in to Storage lot: 7793

Time out of Storage lot: 7:57 a.m.

Time in Bakersfield: 4 p.m.

Mileage in to Bakersfield 8281

  

No comments:

Post a Comment