Saturday, April 7, 2018

The long, wet, cold slog for home is underway

Joan's "frosting" cake

Our time in California came to a quick end and our journey back home has begun.

The trip to Cynthia’s house in Danville, California began on Easter morning in Bakersfield and through the food basket valley of California. From my many trips up and down the central valley it is apparent that many farmers have given up the idea of farming. Many once rich agricultural fields are now standing fallow and groves of trees have been deliberately knocked down.

All of this is the long battle over who gets water in California. There are many signs posted at the farms decrying the lack of water farmers are allowed for growing crops. “Is growing food really wasting water?” said one sign. The temperature climbed to 77 by the time we arrived in Danville.

William at home
A whirlwind of visits with my wonderful cousin Cynthia, my son, William, my ex-wife and her husband, William’s care giver and finally our good friend Jan made the time in California fly by.

I spent three days with William and Joan and I celebrated our 19th anniversary Tuesday night at cousin Cynthia’s house. After we arrived on Sunday, Cynthia prepared a wonderful ham dinner for Joan’s birthday (a couple days late). My cousin is a great cook and I think we cleaned out her refrigerator and cupboards during our short stay.

We all dressed in party hats, which we have used many times previously, but Cynthia really knows how to throw a party. Cynthia's friend Ed also joined us for dinner.

On Wednesday we had a wonderful dinner with my ex-wife and her husband Bill, William, Joan and William’s caregiver Mike at Hindquarter Bar & Grill in Santa Cruz. It was a wonderful time and yes, we all get along very well.

Dinner with the family
Then on Thursday, Cynthia, Joan and I made the trip to Napa Valley to visit my friend Jan. Jan and her late husband Norm traveled to San Antonio a number of years ago to spend time with us there during a winter getaway. We all miss Norm, but we love Jan and always enjoy our time, however short, with her.

The trip to Jan’s house in Hidden Valley Lake took an hour and 40 minutes. The trip home through incredible California traffic took 4 hours. But it was well worth it to see Jan.


Whenever we travel I keep a close eye on the weather and for a week there had been predictions of heavy rain on our route (I-80 through Donner Pass) out of California. Well, the predictions were correct and on Friday we drove through a continuous downpour for more than 9 hours all across California, Nevada and into Utah.

Donner Pass monument
The highest temperature we had on Friday (getaway day) was 57 degrees and that was when we left Danville in a pouring rain. The lowest temperature was 39 degrees at the summit of Donner Pass. The snow level in the Sierras was about 4,500-feet and there was a pretty good snow pack on top.


Somehow during the Friday trek I caught another stone and my new windshield (the one I replaced in December before our trip to Tucson) is cracked again.

One irony noted on Friday is the place called Donner Pass Ski Area. I can only imagine the poor people who were stranded in deep snow and left to die and struggle through the winter of 1846-47 would likely not appreciate that there is now a ski area named after the place they so miserably spent in the snow.
Donner Pass snow pack

Sort of like opening a park in Jonestown, Guyana and serving only kool-aid. 

Another nostalgic moment happened when we drove through Battle Mountain, Nevada. When my brother and I were kids (probably mid to late 50s) my Dad and stepmother drove us through the same town. In fact, I remember we had breakfast there. My recollection is clear because my brother and I were laughing because the mountain near the town had a large “BM” brand burned or placed in it. In our family BM stood for bowel movement and my brother and I thought that was about the funniest thing we had ever seen. Please keep in mind we were young boys at the time. The memory did make me smile today as that big old BM is still on the mountain.
Hilarious, right?

Mileage out (Bakersfield): 100301

Time out (Bakersfield): 9:47 a.m.

Mileage in (Danville): 100558

Mileage out (Danville): 102132

Time out (Danville): 8:47 a.m.

Mileage in (Wendover, UT): 102746

Time in (Wendover, UT): 7 p.m. (Mountain Time)




No comments:

Post a Comment