Monday, February 29, 2016

Even with an extra "leap" day, time continues to fly


Trailhead for Romero Pools hike
Time flies in the desert. Here we are on the cusp of March and two months of our winter getaway behind us. This has been one of the warmest Februarys in recorded weather history for Tucson and many days were in the 80s. Other than the two rain days we have been clear and sunny every day.
When last we visited we had a quiet Sunday in the resort and for the most part the last week has been fairly slow, as slow as things get here in Senior Winter Camp.

Our small hiking group ready to head out
On Monday, Joan went to her aquacise class and I went to the fitness center to get in a few miles on the treadmill. It sometimes seems silly to be walking in place at 4 mph when I could be outside enjoying the beauty of the desert, but when I am outside I sometimes take my time and don’t get a good workout. I have a great time sightseeing, but not so much exercising outdoors.
Through a quirk of the day’s activities, we went out to mail our tax information and get new passport photos taken, Joan missed the annual quilt show in the ballroom which she really enjoys. So that was a disappointment.  Later in the day, we invited our Michigan friends, Jerry and Marcia (who are working with us on the Michigan Party) to go to Meet Me At Maynard’s.

Marcia, Joan, me and Jerry at MMM
We all had a great time and they are now fans of the weekly event. In addition, we finally made reservations to eat at El Charro’s in downtown Tucson and the four of us enjoyed a great meal. El Charro’s is one of the oldest restaurants in Tucson and in addition to the good food there is great atmosphere in an old building.
Also on Monday at Meet Me at Maynard’s Joan and I qualified to receive our free hats for attending 15 times. Because we are only here during the winter it has taken us three seasons to finally get our hats. If you remember, we received our free t-shirts last season which signified 8 times at the weekly event.

Next up after the hats is a 50-time pin and then a 100-event t-shirt. Judging by how long it has taken us to get to the hats, I will be dead before I get to another t-shirt. The pin is in range though.
Joan and I cheering to get our MMM hats
Monday brought the funniest moment of the week, at least for me. We ended up going to Walmart to have our passport photos taken. The photographer told us we could smile, but not show our teeth. Something to do with mangling your cheekbones and the State Department doesn’t like mangled cheekbones. So I took my photo first but when Joan was sitting for her photo I stood behind the photographer making money faces at Joan.

As you can imagine she had difficulty keeping a straight face and finally told the photographer: “Tell him to stop making faces.” The photographer turned around and I just acted normal and pretended I didn’t know what Joan was talking about. After one more “monkey” episode I knocked it off so we could finish our business (monkey business?).
We "earned" our MMM hats
On Tuesday I was up early and off on a beautiful hike to Romero Pools in Catalina State Park in north Tucson. The hike is arduous, but with all the high altitude snow, the payoff at the end was worth it. Lots of water running down Romero Canyon and some beautiful waterfalls to boot. The temperatures warmed up significantly in the afternoon so coming down off the mountain was pretty taxing.

Joan spent the day as she likes to do cleaning up the trailer and then making a dessert for the Tuesday night pot luck. Spent some time talking to my friend Hap (another Michigan friend) after dinner trying to encourage him about his recent memory issues which were brought on by a concussion he received last summer when he fell off his roof in Michigan.
A break on the trail
On Wednesday, I went to the fitness center early, but Joan wimped out on her pool class because the morning temperatures were cool and the wind was whipping a gale. Instead she stayed home and then headed over to Market Days with me.

Our spirits were somewhat dashed when due to the windy conditions a number of usual merchants did not show up for the outdoor market. We were most disappointed that the man who sells great bags of oranges for $4 took the day off. We are now running dangerously low on fine citrus and are relying on our alternate orange supplier – Walmart.
We had tickets to the Wednesday night comedian in the ballroom. His show “The Spouse Whisperer” was very funny and we had a lot of laughs.

Lunch at Romero Pools
Thursday morning brought on my Men’s Bible study in the morning and then the afternoon lecture by a University of Arizona political science professor on “The 2016 Political Landscape.” Making sense of the current political clown show was about as possible as the earlier lecture on making sense of what is happening in the Middle East.
But the talk and question and answer period following were very interesting anyway.

Thursday night I attended the latest “Experiencing God” study and as it turned out will be leading that discussion and study this coming Thursday. Lots of work to do on that. Joan stayed home and watched her favorite TV show – Grey’s Anatomy.
More of Romero Pools
Joan was up and at it early with her Friday morning Women’s Bible Study and we spent the rest of the day getting our stuff together for the Michigan Party which is Monday, Feb. 29. (You’ll have to read about that next week.)

Our dinners this week were pretty much salads, Taco salad one night, Shrimp Louie another night, then bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches another and we had breakfast for dinner one night, which is one of my favorite dinners.
I got up early Saturday so I could promote for the last time our Michigan party at the massive coffee and doughnuts presentation in the ballroom at 8 a.m. Each week the coffee and doughnuts has a different sponsor and this week it was one of the local RV dealers who brought along four rigs for us to walk through.  We look at the rigs, but we’re pretty satisfied with our current arrangement, which is long paid for.


Heading down the trail
On Saturday afternoon Joan and I moved outside to soak up some sunshine and I began the long process of calling 300 potential blood donors for my next Michigan blood drive which occurs on Tuesday, March 8. A friend of mine is babysitting the drive for me while I am here, but I did all the work setting it up and making the reminder calls. My favorite call this time was I reached a man who is wintering in Florida, so he can’t make the drive and when I told him I was calling him from Tucson, we both got a good laugh out of that.
About a month ago the resort announced a Western Dinner Show for Saturday, Feb. 27, and when I went to get tickets, they were sold out. They put us on a standby list and we got in. The dinner was great, barbeque chicken, scalloped potatoes, prairie garden slaw, Texas vegetable blend (which was just carrots and broccoli), cornbread and “Linda’s Texas sheet cake.”  Everything was good, but I liked “Linda’s Texas sheet cake” the best.

A trail vista
Entertainment for the evening was performed by a group called Goldwing Express, a father and three sons, who play bluegrass, country AND western, as well as gospel music. They were very funny and very talented musicians and singers. At the end of the concert they called up each veteran by branch of service and it was truly amazing how many men (and some women) have served here at Voyager.
They, of course, called up the Army first, even though everyone knows that America’s Navy was the first real military organization in the country.

Because the rodeo is in town, the whole week is considered “Western Heritage” time here in Tucson and on church everyone was dressed out in their best cowboy garb for services on Sunday. I don’t have much in the way of western garb, so I just used it as an excuse to wear jeans and tennis shoes to church this week.
C-130s in the boneyard
After church we came home and watched a nationally televised hockey game and then I finished what I started on Saturday and called the rest of my blood drive phone list. On Sunday night we ate out at Weinerschnitzel and then caught a cheap movie at the bargain theater. We saw “Bridge of Spies.”

This movie had some very special meaning to me as my stepfather worked for Lockheed Aircraft Corp. in Burbank at the time that Francis Gary Powers was shot down over the Soviet Union in the Lockheed built U-2. I remember at one point during the crisis that my stepfather mentioned that the pilot of those planes were not supposed to survive any shootdowns.
An aerial view of the boneyard
My father would enjoy the U-2 flying scenes, as short as they are in the movie, but the history of a previously untold story would also be of interest to anyone with even a passing interest of the history of that era.

Monday promises to be a busy day with our responsibilities for hosting the “Michigan Party” here at the Voyager. Too bad for you, because you will have to wait for the next post to read all about it.
Just a quick note for my Dad. Every time I pass the boneyard on Kolb Road I think of you. But mostly I wish the thousands of military aircraft sitting in the desert could talk. I’d love to know where they had flown and what exotic missions they had performed. It’s a little sad to see them covered and forlorn sitting in the desert like forgotten heirlooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment