Monday, April 6, 2015

One more post before we leave Tucson

Spartan fans in the desert

OK, so I lied. This will likely be the last post before we head home to Michigan. The work of preparation to put the trailer in storage is underway and our Thursday getaway day is approaching quickly.


Since the last post we have been busy with friends and activities so I thought I would update things pending our imminent departure.

On Monday, March 30, we invited our friend Walt, a widower from the Men’s Bible Study, to go to dinner with us before he departed from the Voyager on April 2. He suggested we try the Silver Saddle, a steak house in Tucson, which is a place we had not eaten at before. It was very nice, but the company was even better.

Walt’s son arrived in Tucson on Wednesday and they left together on Thursday for Minnesota.
Another glorious sunset
In the past ten days we have attended another concert on Wednesday, April 8 – the Arizona Symphonic Winds – which we attended last year and which we equally enjoyed this year. I went on my favorite hike into the Chirachua Mountains on Tuesday, March 31.


We had a smaller hiking group than normal as many folks in the park have already started the trek home but the folks that showed up were a lot of fun and the hike was simply great. The drive there and back is long but the incredible views from the hike are well worth the long drive.

Thursday night we attended Maundy Thursday worship services in the ballroom and then on Friday we attended Good Friday services in the Catalina Room. The darkening service was very moving.

And now it's just us!
Also on Friday, April 3 – which just happened to be our 16th wedding anniversary – we joined some friends at their home in The Cove – which is the home section of the Voyager park – for a wonderful dinner and social time with some of the friends we have made here.

Darcel and Barry were the hosts and they are the same friends who accompany us each year on our wine tasting trip. They just purchased a small motorhome for shorter trips while they are here or back home in Idaho.

Then on Saturday some other friends – Jerry and Marcia who are fellow Spartan rooters – invited us to a MSU Alumni Association basketball playoff viewing party at the nearby Radisson Hotel. We joined about 60 other Spartans to watch our team get manhandled by the Duke Blue Devils.

Despite the loss we all agreed the team exceeded all expectations and we enjoyed the company of like minded folks.
Me at "Inspiration Point"

After the viewing party we joined some folks who are friends of Marcia and Jerry at a sports bar restaurant for a Wisconsin viewing. The four people who joined us are from Vancouver, Canada and we enjoyed a raucous fun time learning about each other and telling funny stories.

On Sunday we attended Easter worship services in the park and then after returning to the trailer we watched a little NHL and I started the process of preparing the trailer for storage. I crawled under the trailer and lubricated the slide-out portion and removed the tire covers from the east side of the trailer and torqued the lug nuts on the trailer wheels.

On Monday I will pick up a ladder so I can get on the trailer roof on Tuesday so I can scrub down and clean the roof and maintain the seals. Following that I will wash and wax the trailer so it can be put into storage in Flagstaff on Thursday.
Big Balanced Rock

You are all allowed to pray for me while I work on the roof of the trailer. Two years ago a man fell while cleaning his roof and he died. I know this because every time I get on the roof every Tom, Dick and Mary who walk by my trailer when I am on the roof let me know.

I know a number of you follow our blog and we appreciate your interest in our travels. I will likely post a couple times on our way home from Tucson so stay tuned. We have been treated to some of the finest sunsets since we have been here in the past two weeks.

If you scroll down you can see some additional photos from the Chirachua hike.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry your time in paradise draws to an end for this year. I know how much you love it and I am so happy you have a great winter home. Spring has sprung back here so you should be coming home to nice weather and greenery. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete