Friday, January 21, 2011

Just another day in paradise - Key Largo style


Today was kind of a catch up day for us.

We got up kind of late, did our weight exercises and enjoyed our diet breakfast.

While outside, my friend Kim called from Michigan (to tell me how very, very cold it was there) and as I was talking to him I wandered a few feet to our dock and saw a very, very large creature floating near the surface.

It was a Manatee, the very same creature we have been trying to see on several previous trips to Florida.

Heck, one day last April Joan and I spent an afternoon driving around Vero Beach unsuccessfully trying to find the places people told us we could see them.

As soon as I spotted the Manatee, I called to Joan and she came over, leaned over the dock and began talking to it. You have to know Joan and her affection for animals and science to appreciate how big a deal this was.

I took some photos (a couple here), finished my phone call with Kim and then went back to our exercises. About 10:30 a.m. we got cleaned up and then headed out to check out the Visitor’s Center in Key Largo.

Elin and a friend are flying down her together on Saturday for a couple days of warm rest and relaxation so we checked out a couple beaches for them to lie on. I made reservations for a glass bottom boat tour of a nearby coral reef and also reservations for a sunset dinner on Monday in Key West.

With the pickings getting slim, Joan and I went to a nearby Publix store and stocked up on salad fixins’, fruit and wine for Joan and the girls. Then while she had her nails “filled” I brought the food back to the trailer and then returned to pick her up.

While waiting for Joan I noticed this white bird perched on a nearby truck, so I grabbed my camera and took pictures of it.

Spent a little time on the patio here reading my book , but got chased by some rain showers. Tonight we’ll just chill in the trailer as the rain passes through. It is supposed to clear up by Sunday, so that will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment